Friends of Scouting
Friends of Scouting is an opportunity for families, friends, alumni, businesses and community organizations to support Scouting. The registration fee goes directly to the national office of the Boy Scouts of America. If a Scout unit collects dues, that money stays with the unit to help pay for supplies, advancements and other activities. None of that money helps the Sam Houston Area Council. In order to keep Scouting affordable for all youth, the council runs an annual Friends of Scouting fundraising campaign.
Friends of Scouting helps:
- Recruit and train youth and leaders
- Provide assistance to those in need
- Keep camps and activities affordable
- Enhance programing and facilities
- Provide communication tools for volunteer leaders
Friends of Scouting contributions provide approximately 24% of the support the council receives each year. The success of Scouting depends on those who support it. Please help Scouting provide the resources necessary to make sure every youth can benefit from Scouting’s fun, exciting, adventure-filled activities that foster character, honesty, respect and life-long values.
Unit Leaders: Each unit is requested to hold an FOS presentation at your unit’s biggest gathering (typically the blue and gold banquet or a troop court of honor) during the months of February through May. The presentation, which takes approximately seven minutes to conduct, informs parents and leaders of all council services, its financial needs and extends an opportunity to help fulfill the need. Please sign up for a presentation.
Donate Sign up for FOS presentation
Selling gourmet popcorn is a wonderful opportunity for units to earn funds to support their entire year of Scouting.
- Increase your unit and council income – 70% stays in your unit and the local council.
- Pay for your entire Scouting program.
- Scouts learn life lessons by “earning their own way.”
- The prize program motivates Scouts.
- There are loads of incentives: $600 club and college scholarships.
- For additional revenue, sell online to friends and family out of town.